Monday, 3 January 2011

Wardrobe Rehab.

Clearing out the wardrobe is always a daunting task, especially when it comes to time management. I manage to get a large one done at least once a year and another smaller one when the seasons change, to make space for the new season's purchases. This time, however, it had been a while: the results are telling. Dressed in jeans and a long sleeved top, I felt ready to sort, especially equipped with Geneva's didactic Wardrobe Rehab Project, and a little like Carrie Bradshaw when I began to draw up my labels (all I was missing was the fabulous, fanciful walk in wardrobe), as instructed. Though, I did differ a little from the plan here as my labels were: LOFT, ALTERING, CHARITY, SELL, RECYCLE and KEEP  - more suited to myself. With the added aid of munchies.
So, as the manual suggests, I pulled out my whole wardrobe. I must admit, it was a reasonably hefty pile. Well, better get started...

After a couple of a hours of hard work, and my sister checking through the piles for anything she wanted, I was finito. It was a emotionally and physically draining task: heaving piles of clothes into their designated fate which continually conflated into one big fate (not LOFT or CHARITY... LOFARITY, which I did not want) and casting off clothes with sentimental value to the spare room, to be taken out next season or in a few years. Plus (as I was being quite cut throat) actually giving away clothes which had been mine for many years, sitting in my wardrobe, to charity or friends. Or, to find my leather skirt is scuffed and ripped. But, I most not hold onto the past... I must look to the future of my wardrobe! Which is looking incredibly barren at the moment. What was previously full to the brim, bursting with colour, jam-packed with pattern and packed with texture, is now a shadow of its former glory. I wish I had taken a picture before, because if you could see the contrast, you would be shocked (as I am: I still cannot quite believe how ferociously frugal I was). 



Look! I was able to hang the majority of my clothes on wooden coat hangers, that is how few I now have. And the second is all that is now left of a my skirts and shorts. It is a sorry sight. Pero, no fear. I am using this as a chance to build on my favourite, capsule wardrobe and SHOP! Today, I purchased a sparkly jumper - see if you can spot it in the first picture - I had had my eye on for a while in Topshop and at a tenner in the sale, I jumped (get it, jumped for a jumper...) at the chance to buy!

I'm afraid I do not have the patience, or, with school now very nearly on the cards, the time to carry on with the following steps. However, I thank Geneva, from A Pair and a Spare, for this guide which helped very much and I urge you all to rehabilitate your wardrobe.

UO x


16 comments:

Romance Is Boring said...

Loved this post! My wardrobe's in a dire need of sorting out - I've got shoes and clothes EVERYWHERE at the mo! x

p.s., munchies? Nom.

TC said...

such a great post! I literally just cleaned out my wardrobe too!

Courtney Erin said...

I really really need to purge some stuff!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Spence. said...

Oh my wardrobe deffinately needs a bit of a clear out - gota be in the right mindset though or I'll get waaay too sentimental;
"Oh I must keep this poncho! Even though I've never worn it, but maybe it'll comes back into fashion... hopefully before the turn of the next centuary... hmm, I better keep it, you know, just incase..."

tehehe.

x

walkin wardrobes said...

you got me going and I am going to sort out my wardrobe

Romance Is Boring said...

p.s., I've given you an award on my blog x

Bea said...

I kind of love cleaning out my wardrobe. I tend to get a bit carried away sometimes though. AND I feel super guilty for seeing clothes I've bought but barely worn. Eep!

I love wooden hangers and hope to have a whole collection one day. So classy :)

Bea from A plus B

Julia said...

Hey - enjoy your shopping - i'm making my own capsule wardrobe from scratch!

x

http://thecapsulewardrobeproject2011.blogspot.com/

Izzy said...

Wow such a great idea! Your wardrobe looks/looked amazing! I think I'lll be taking up some tips ;)
Swamped In Flowers x

Ruta, Look Ugly in a Photograph said...

ooo good idea. My closet needs a cleaning out. I've been getting lazy and neglecting it.

Roz said...

I haven't visited your blog in too long - but I enjoyed looking at your gorgeous outfits.
I'm very impressed by your frugality here. I tend to do a wardrobe clear out about twice a year, but it is now full to burting and I'm afraid that there'sjust nothing that I want to get rid of! When I do have a clear out though, I either sell the clothes on ebay or give them to a charity shop.
Happy new year!

http://clothescamerasandcoffee.blogspot.com/

MAUD said...

gah, i really need to do that... you have a lovely blog, by the way!

ANN said...

I REALLY need to clean out my wardrobe! I just ordered a rolling rack recently to put all the clothes I currently wear on it, and all the clothes I don't currently wear will stay in my closet haha
I love all the colors of your wardrobe by the way! Reminds me a bit of mine :)

Izzy said...

Ohh plus I changed it to trend, reading and thinking it over. I totally agree with you, wise words ;).

Izzy said...

Plus Thank you!

Emilia said...

love all your clothes :)
emiliabrown.blogspot.com