Friday, 6 August 2010

Kew Gardens.

After much deliberation and cut-throat narrowing down, I finally decided to take art for my GCSE option. It seemed blatantly obvious that it should be top of my list and when I realised I could not possibly sacrifice fashion for latin. Although, at first, I did not really think of the art GCSE course as very fashion related, but I now am aware you can present a module through a fashion related medium. How could I have been so silly! Hence, I made the brave decision to knock on the teacher who is in charge of our option's door and ask to change them, at a relatively late date and luckily, I was allowed. So, moving forward from that minor blip, I am now very excited about my art GCSE, although I have been told multiple times "Omg, you're taking art?! You will spend your whole life in the art rooms." Well, if that is the price to pay for a potential career in fashion, then so be it. Besides, I enjoy art and if I was going to be spending 'my life' doing a subject, at the moment, art would definitely be right up there at the top.
This decision meant I would have to be starting my module one - Natural Form - coursework during this holiday, which meant a trip to Kew Gardens with fabulous Faye.
It was a pretty miserable day and the dark grey clouds were looming, with a forecast for rain and it had already started drizzling when we arrived. First port of call was the Palm House, where we must use pencil, pen and colour to depict three different views. I bought all my art equipment; acrylics, water colours, pencils, paint brushes etc; for a small fortune and and a Sharpie. I had always wanted one, and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to treat myself, you know? I was not disappointed by the way, they are so cool! Ah, the simple pleasures in life...
I must say, although it was pretty cold outside, we were over heating inside and soon, hunger got the better of me and we ventured for lunch. After getting flapped at by a bird and letting out girlish screams to the shock of the other diners and consuming a yummy home made pasta, we decided to go to the Princess of Wales Conservatory. And then, whilst we were sitting there, drawing some cacti, all hell let rip - weather wise, that is. The rain pelted the conservatory roof like crazy and then the thunder and lightning started: we were trapped there for about two and a half hours! Oh well, it gave me plenty of times to do an awful drawing of my first cactus, rub it all out, and then start on the other two.
Then, it was back to the initial Palm House to finish what we had started up in the balcony, where is was even hotter! We sketched out our final Palm House view, snapped a few photos so we could finish off at home and decided we could not possibly part now and arranged a sleepover.
What I wore:
Lace Up Boots - Topshop
Trousers - Zara
Sheer Shirt - H&M
Scarf - H&M
Bag - Primark

At home, we watched about five episodes of Jersey Shore. Now, it must be said, I have pretty awful taste in TV, with Eastenders and Big Brother gracing my television each night, which must be why I enjoyed it so much! Are you a fan of trashy TV? I do not know really what it is about it that attracts me to it so much. As for reality TV I could be all psychological about it and try to defend myself by saying that it is really human nature I am interested in, the way humans act and react, blah blah blah. But, really, I suppose it is just because it is entertaining and funny... I must have a bad sense of humour....

BIG NEWS! If you look over to the right there, you will see my follower total has reached the grand old one-hundred! Thank you so much to each and every one of you; those that comment, those that simply read, those that may just look at the pictures and maybe even those who clicked follow and have never returned! It just means a lot that you clicked that button because maybe you were interested in that post and, if you continue to be interested, then that is just a whole lot better! Thank you!

UO x

26 comments:

vickileestyle said...

ahhh art is fabulous! the lessons are so fun; talking and listening to capital whilst working but make sure you don't get mrs armstrong!
for my first piece i did a structure inspired by an all black viktor and rolf collection and for another piece i did a skirt inspired by different cultures so i guess loads of fashion can be gone into it which is always good.
in love with your shirt! <3

ParisiannSkies said...

i took art for gcse and spent two years having an amazingly creative time!

Sabina said...

Thank you so much for your support - I'm counting on great people like you! :)) I hope you'll like the theme and participate! <3

Izzy said...

Gorgeous outfit! Love the combination, with the shoes. Ahh can't wait to start Art GCSE now even more after this post!

Hannah said...

I remember the days of choosing GCSE options! You will enjoy GCSE art. Lovely outfit by the way. The headband is really cute. I'm obsessed with Jersey Shore too; trashy TV is the best!

Have a lovely weekend,
Hannah x

Panda said...

Hey Olivia,
Just wondering if you got the results yet x)
I didn't get in - but I got on the shortlist yaaay.
Anyway, email/comment me back!
xxx

Mary Lee said...

i really love your sheer shirt :) i really love the first flower haha

Nav said...

cute look, and good choice with taking art, it's such a worthwhile subject, especially if you want a career in a creative industry like fashion.

x
http://tantrummagazine.blogspot.com/

X'tian Ou said...

love your outfit! its cute and unique :)

http://idiefor-you.blogspot.com

Orphin Lasz said...

I'm sure you will love that class in no time!
I mean, art can trully become a passion... it's so interesting, and allows you to certainly express yourself, your thoughts and ideas.

I really like these photos; seem really nice, for your first assignement! I really hope you get the best out of this class ; u ;

~ Orphin's Domains ~

MariamLikesBubbles said...

laaavly pictures.
i like those boots.

Spence. said...

I'm addicted to Big Brother at the moment!
I used to think it was a waste of time, but decided I'd watch it cuz it was the last series...
then I realised it's such a clever social experiment! Observing people through cameras like animals in a cage, how they cope in the best and worst circumstances, grow to adapt and learn to co-operate with different stereotpes.
Plus, it is pretty addictive - I've become hoplessly engrossed in their closed-off little world.
...Oh dear, I think reality tv's making me lose touch with the real world, tehe.

x

Aya Smith said...

Congrats on the 100 followers! Keep it up and before you know it it will be 1000.

PS your pics are great and I love those pants


Aya of Strawberry Koi

through the lens. said...

i am dreading going to kew gardens, eugh.
and i totally do not judge you on the trashy tv thing. i've been away on holiday, and i am now desperately catching up on BB 4od :D

Bea said...

Wow the view in that picture is stunning! And oh trashy TV. I am a bit of an addict for The Hills (before Lauren Conrad left) and Laguna Beach. They just lead lives that are so different from mine-it's interesting and hilarious to watch. :)

B from A plus B

ღ♥ CONFASHIONS FROM AMSTERDAM said...

Let me tell you one thing first: LOVE this look on you! Those trousers, i would want to live in it! And u shot some awesome snapshots missy :) EASTENDERS omg that goes way back lol is it still on???

daisy kate said...

Your photographs are amazing! Well done :)

Please take a look at my brand new blog, Fashion Stereotype I'd really appreciate any feedback or advice you may have :) Thank you!

Sabina said...

I'm so glad you like the challenge - I can't wait to see your entry, I'm very excited! :)))
Thank you for your support hon!
xxx

ramz_x said...

Hi :)I can't wait to take art for GCSE, and the outfit you wore to Kew Gardens is so cute hehe.

Oh and Jersey Shore is so trashy, but great!

Beth xx

P.S Could people please check out my new blog? It would be amazing to hear your comments and advice :)

Panda said...

hey Olivia!
That's so awesome! I will be cheering you in on! Gorgeous outfit, I have that shirt in black! Keep in touch, Kay? Me, Isabel and you have gotta meet up again soon! :) Panda xxx

t said...

Cool sheer blouse. :)

http://initialed.blogspot.com

Indie.Tea said...

Art sounds like a fabulous choice. Since you look terrific and know how to put together a swell outfit (I love the top and the pants and the booties in your picture) fashion seems good too.

Charlie said...

You look amazing, and Kew Gardens looks so quintessentially English whilst being so beautiful. Wish I was there now! Charlie x

emily said...

wow, great photos! i also like your outfit :)

http://seasidegulls.blogspot.com/

kerry said...

absolutely loving your style (and your blog)! that outfit has inspired my next post :) i love it when that happens. +1 follower for that haha!!! as for trashy t.v, i am guilty of the very same behaviour. still haven't pinpointed the attraction, when you find out let me know!

http://www.repeatwithbrazen.blogspot.com

Suzanne said...

That second image with a butterfly is a flower?? Amazing!