After hours chugging away on the sewing machine, many pricked fingers and a broken needle later, finally, my skirt has been finished. This time, it completely fits (hurray!) and, in my opinion, actually looks quite good... If, you don't get too close: the slits are half hand sewn and half machine run, the zip is a complete and utter state with eratic ends and the hem is a little bit wonky. It was clear from the first time round that this skirt, made from scratch, was not going to appear without its fair share of mishaps. Attempt #2 the needle broke whilst I was doing the zip - don't ask how! A colossal banging started, which alerted me to perhaps STOP SEWING, and I checked to see what on Earth was going on. I wound the handle to try and pull the needle up manually, but to no avail. I heard something click and thought all my problems were solved. I put my foot down on the pedal and snap. It was quite a traumatic experience.
However... If you ignore all these, minor, detriments, the skirt is exactly how I hoped it would turn out! I did not dare to cut the slits as high as the original - I definitely do not have good enough legs for that - and settled for stopping a third from the top of my thigh to leave plenty of room for movement!
Olivia x x x x
p.s. please do not take this as a reflection on my sewing skills as a whole. Althought they are pretty limited, my theory is that this skirt was cursed from the start.
1 year ago