Saturday, 27 March 2010

Charity Dinner.

Friday evening: the prospect of going home with nothing to do was not a promising outlook, to say the least. However, my knight in shining amour, Jenni, texted me, asking if I would like to attend a Charity Dinner. I jumped at the chance to fill my Friday night and, of course, give to charity. Bursting through the front door on my way home from school (I only had two hours to decide what to wear and get ready - quite a mammoth task), I ran upstairs to my room and threw open my wardrobe... What to wear? After trying on my newly made Christopher Kane skirt with coral lipstick, coral seamed tights and coral jacket, I decided it was not evening enough; saved for another day! And ended up recycling my green stripey dress from H&M (you will probably know it, as it featured in Grazia during the winter). I wore with my new bow tie (See Portobello.), grey dotted tights from Primark and this divine coat which used to be my mother's from Zara. Finally finishing with golden ankle socks (with the most gigantic holes in the soles) and gold t-bar shoes in the sale from Topshop.

A few hours later, at 7 o'clock, we arrived at a house in Ewell which was alive with lights and buzzing with people; a great indicator compared to the many dark houses along the road. We were weclomed by a smiling Thai woman, who would later do the cooking demonstration, shuffled into the main room (as we were the only people younger than about 25 there) and had a glass of Bellini, with raspberries floating on top, thurst into our hands. Bellini is the only alcoholic drink I love, so it was to my delight when Jenni didn't want hers! The organisers, one being Jenni's mother, had done a wonderful job in exhausting all possibilities in which to make the most money for the charity, which I have forgotten to mention before now in my haste to describe my outfit (not very charitable of me - however, I do become more philanthropic as the evening goes on!), Children of the Andes: they had a professional jewellery stall, of which some of the profit was donated to the charity, a second hand clothes rail, bric-a-brac, homemade jams and sauces, plants, an auction and a Thai food cookery display, by the fore-mentioned woman.

Whilst sipping our Bellinis (well, at least I was), feeling very sophisticated, we browsed the clothes rail! It was not a very promising start, with most of the clothes in size 14, when we were interrupted by Jenni's mum making a lovely speech about another one of the organisers and giving us some information about the charity. After which, a video was shown to give us more of an insight into what the charity does. However, due to limited space in the room, we sadly missed the showing. Next, the Thai cookery class was shown. Me and Jenni bagged front rowing viewing, almost close enough for the oils to spit up onto us, so we got premium smell position! Mmm-mmm! After the class/show was finish, we left off where we began on the clothes rail - there I spotted this gorgeous white chiffon long shrug with embellished shoulders, which I accquired at the cost of a fiver!

The food was ready! My favourites were the chicken, which was absolutely delish: Thai food at its best, and the rice noodle stir fry!

Again we went next door to sift through the various shoes and bags, when Jenni found a lovely flowery scarf. Her un-charitable nature, she feels she has done her fair share after giving £40 to the Tsunami a few years ago and £15 to Haiti: "My own money as well!", meant she wouldn't buy the scarf as "I just would buy it because I'm here... I don't actually want it!" even though it was 50p. *Cough* cheapskate *Cough*. So I bought it!

To end the evening, there was an auction. Sadly, it wasn't as successful as they probably would've hoped, considering they had some great prizes, and Jenni's mother walked away with a £20 hair voucher for £5 and a small tree for £15! But overall it was an absolutley fabulous night, which was a perfect way to spend my Friday evening! Thank you Jenni!

4 comments:

vickileestyle said...

omg i'm in love with that white shirt! so so beautiful!

bekster said...

woowwww!
Way bettter then I spent my friday night. That sounds like so much fun :)
That chiffon blouse is absolutely adorable and the scarf, I mean at that price who wouldn't?!?

http://squishingmushrooms.blogspot.com/

Chloe, Butterfly Cupcakes said...

I love that flowery scarf

jessica danielle. said...

I love that shirt! Also, I picked you for my UK blog feature! I know I said I'd pick on Monday haha, but I like your blog and was picking you anyways so I figured I'd give you your interview questions a little bit early. Here they are: (feel free to delete the comment afterwards if it takes up too much room)

Who, What, When, Where, Why

When and how did you become interested in the fashion industry?

You seem to wear alot of vintage clothing. What are some of your favorite vintage shops?

Who and what inspires you?

What do you believe makes a good quality piece of clothing?

What was your favorite collection in the 2010 New York/Paris/Milan/London fashion weeks?

What trend would you be happy to see fade out?

What fashion faux-pas are you guilty of committing? (bad hair cut, socks with flip flops?)

From what I understand, the fashion scene in London is quite underground and edgy. Are you inspired by this? Or do you take a more classic approach to fashion?

What are your beauty must-haves?

If...

If you could design your own fashion line (let's imagine that you have all the skills to if you don't already!), which famous designer's line would it resemble most?

If you had $5000 to spend in one store, which store would it be?

If you could spend the day with one fashion personality (magazine editor, it girl, model, designer), who would it be and why?

If you could work for any magazine, which one would it be and why?

If you could create your own nail polish (think OPI's crazy collections), what color would it be and what would you call it?

Pick One

Carrie, Samantha, Miranda or Charlotte?

Flats or heels?

Alexander McQueen or Vivienne Westwood?

Lola by Marc Jacobs or Daisy by Marc Jacobs?

Vogue or Elle?

Bold colors or neutrals?

Rings, necklaces, bracelets, or earrings?

Models, Singers, Actresses, or It-Girls?

End the interview with a song lyric or quote!

*You don't need to do them right away, take your time! Just make sure I get them by Monday night or Tuesday :) I guess you can post them on the blog feature post when you're finished with them. Thanks for participating! -Jess